<

An open dialog with travellers devoted to sharing global travel experiences, travel tips, unique destination secrets, great deals and general advise for the curious traveller on food, drink, lodging and recreation while trekking around the globe.

Google

Thursday, July 14, 2005

The Windy City Blew Me Away


Sears Tower at Night
Originally uploaded by gyatman.

A few weeks ago I was visiting Chicago on business (ALA Conference) and found some free time to check out the Windy City sights. I have to admit that given my limited amount of touring time I missed out on several key Chicago attractions...such as The Field Museum, The Art Institute of Chicago, The Shedd Aquarium (I'm still irritated that I missed this one) and The Adler Planetarium...but I still saw a nice slice of Chicago life.

I started my Chicago tour by buying tickets for the Chicago River Architecture Tour...a must for the Chicago visitor unfamiliar with Chicago history. I followed this tour with a walk through the Navy Pier, which also provided plenty of Chicago flavor (although a bit more touristy). Not to let a river tour and pier walk slow me down...I headed to the John Hancock Building (the best skydeck view in Chicago I have to admit). The Chicago skyline was quite impressive...even for a NYC resident like me (it must be noted that I am a California transplant however...if anyone ever wondered).


When discussing Chicago the food must also be discussed. Chicago has an incredible food scene. From hot dogs to cheesecake, sweetbreads to foie gras, Chicago has the selection. I was able to dine at three great restaurants that I should definitely share:


MK - Hidden away from tourist crowds and the everyday hustle and bustle...the atmosphere is perfect and the wine list is fantastic too (check out the Steltzner Cab)

Gibson's - Steaks made for a king (or queen) and service to match. Kate Hudson and Chris Robinson sat at the table next to us...but being starstruck didn't stop me from consuming large quantities of steak and wine (check out the Chicago Cut steak....perfect for "real" red meat affectionados)

The Parthenon - Perfect for tourists, great for residents...but most importantly everyone feels like family. Large family style tables encourage shared drinks, food and occational shouts of "OPA!!!"

Chicago is a perfect place to visit in the Spring and Fall (Summer and Winter can be brutal) but don't let the weather keep you from enjoying the Chicago scene. The people have the kind mid-western charm to them, the funny "Dahhh Bearsss" accent (sorry Chicagoans), and a great sense of local pride. Simply put...The Windy City Blew Me Away.

Blogroll Me!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to Chicago a few years ago in November. I went to a journalism conference there with my high school journalism class, and we only stayed for two days attending seminars so I didn't get to do or see much.

But I definitely remember standing out in the cold wind waiting for a bus to take us to our hotel. And I remember a group of us "playing hooky" from the conference, sneaking away to a separate part of the building to sit in comfortable armchairs and talk while overlooking the city through huge windows.

I hope to make it back there some day and try out some of these food places you've mentioned.

6:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your blog! From Yuba to NYC , eh?! Wow!

Great Chicago tips! I took the architectural river tour too, and loved it. Totally informative.

By the way.... GO TO GREECE . Just get up. Walk to the door.... goooo..... ;-) (then you can tell all of us about it who haven't been yet!)

Happy Travels!

6:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to share your tour story to us. Love to read your blog, its really great & informative to us & also the people who wants to go there.
Mohammad Zohaib Khan from Atlanta

5:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|