<

An open dialog with travellers devoted to sharing global travel experiences, travel tips, unique destination secrets, great deals and general advise for the curious traveller on food, drink, lodging and recreation while trekking around the globe.

Google

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

California Dreamin'



Some of you, in fact most likely a majority of you will be unfamiliar with this scene....but to me it's home...actually it was home for most of my life. This photo depicts the "Smallest Mountain Range in the World" or so the residents of Yuba City like to tell everyone.

Notice the agricultural look of the scenery and it isn't hard to imagine that despite the reputation of California for being full of surfboards, beaches and bikinis (although I have surfed and did own a surfboard at one time)...I spent most of my time dodging puddles of tobacco spit, wondering how anyone could wear Wrangler jeans with giant cowboy buckles and seriously contemplating whether the ever present Country Music was a deperate attempt by the South to finally gain retribution for their Civil War defeat. I'm still hanging on to my Southern conspiracy theory....even after Shania Twain (so beautifully) cast doubt upon it.

I have to give this tiny place credit however for giving me to urge to travel as far away from it as possible, as much as possible, to get a clearer picture of what the rest of the world looked like. It's not as if Yuba City is a terrible place, in fact my parents and Carrie's parents still live there, it's just that opportunity and diversity doesn't exactly grow on trees there as do peaches, plums, almonds and walnuts. Yuba City does have the International Tomato Festival...which is most likely International because it features Salsa and Spaghetti Sauce....but at least it's a festival!

California is still my home state...in my mind...which is why I haven't even exchanged my license for a NY one yet (I just can't let go yet, so don't tell the DMV)...and I thought I'd share some great places that should be visited if possible (leaving out Disneyland..which is a given regardless of age), especially with the newest Jetblue fares to California:

San Francisco - From North Beach to Chinatown, The Castro to Alcatraz...this city has the commerce, style and feel of a big city without the overwhelming atmosphere...I would recommend S.F. as "The Best" city in California in terms of food, sights and friendly people...quite a few freaks too (which is good for picture taking)

Napa Valley - Although Sideways highlighted Napa's southern California cousin the Santa Ynez valley, the real deal is found in Napa Valley near San Francisco. Be sure to visit Steltzner Vineyards on the Silverado Trail and ask for either Dick (the owner) or Allison (his daughter) to give you a real wine lesson and great tasting

San Diego - Perfect weather, 15 minutes from Mexico and fantastic beaches. The Mexican food here is incredible (and it should be), Mission Beach, Ocean Beach, Torrey Pines and Pacific Beach are great to visit....but be sure to see La Jolla as well to view Beverly Hills of San Diego

Santa Barbara - Yes...Sideways was highlighting the wine country here...but the scenic views make this city unforgettable. Great college scene too...Isla Vista is something to be seen and most likely not remembered the next day

I realize that I've been pretty broad with my suggestions for California, but I can't help it....there are dozens of places within each of my suggested destinations that I would recommend. Maybe I'll break them down further on another post. Until then however enjoy your travels and be sure to share your stories too!

Blogroll Me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|